I am going to lay out an outline of my finishing workflow. I am just not going to go into much detail to the basic fact that not only do I need some job security (being one of several few guys who is able to successfully accomplish this is valuable) but additionally because I consult for the fee…which I suppose is job security also. But, I am going to lay out how easy this output was…even even though it bumped in to a few walls along the way, mainly on account of working with HD for the first time.
Issue #1 was show timing. I needed to deliver a demonstrate that was rigidly timed in audio. It must be 94:10 with :25 second blacks between each act. Well, while you might or might not know, DVCPRO HD 720p 23.98 is actually a non-drop code. And you could ONLY operate in a non-drop timeline. Even when you check out the uncompressed codecs…non-drop only. So task #1 ws to discover what time I needed the non-drop master being to obtain the drop frame downconverted master to get perfectly timed. The solution (this I will provide you with) ended up being to take my rough cut, copy it and paste it in a 29.97 timeline. Generally If I was short, I’d add slug to make up the time..generally if i was long, I’d chop off the excess until I needed perfect timing. I copied every one of the footage again and pasted that into a non-drop 23.98 timeline and noted just what the end time was. That had been my target for your main cut. I put a marker there.
OK…so given that I have that down, I edited the show and addressed all the network notes only to find we were 10 min SHORT! Doh! OK, so my producer scanned thru the interviews for great bytes and re-wrote the script and so i frantically edited for two weeks to acquire myself there. With much struggling and adding more footage to the battle scenes, I bought the show to time. I sent the acts individually to my server for that composer (situated in Colorado) to download and initiate composing. Meanwhile, I work on the Shake comps for the green screen footage I have. To the shots which were just beyond me, I subcontracted to a buddy of mine who seems to be a Shake guru. He did 6 of the toughies, and i also managed the basic keys…with much the aid of him. At the same time we enjoyed a guy concentrating on our maps in Phoenix AZ. As he was done, he’d simply e-mail me a project file and I’d render it all out (we are using Curious World Maps for your map software). I would personally then add those maps for the cut. Master still footage came in, and master Stock Footage (on DV…and how I upconverted this is another post another day) and i also cut it in to the show…all working towards getting everything at full resolution.
The stills were fun. 4000×3000 mainly. I did so most the moves in FCP, but did a number of them in AE when I wanted to stylize the black and white ones, adding a bit color. These took quite some time to render. Plus it had been a mad dash to acquire them all at full resolution. But, we made it happen and lastly I had been willing to prep to the output.
I uprezzed the footage using FCP and rendered it out…adding the Best post production studios in Kolkata comps and maps. I found it necessary to output a texted and textless master, and so i duplicated my sequence and removed all the text and rendered again. When which was done I exported that with an external drive. I was able to fit the texted and textless outputs onto a G-Raid.
I took this G-Raid and my laptop and project that I developed for the very last output towards the audio mixer. Initially we were going to carry out the typical online workflow where we output the ultimate picture and temp audio to HDCAM, then layback audio later on. But we were cutting things close, and so i had to cancel layback once. Not wanting to incur another deck rental, I asked the mixer for the audio files. I would personally add those to my timeline and output the master picture and audio as well. He was hesitant, because they have done this in the past along with complications with sync. My solution was to bring my hard disk drive and laptop for the mix and after watching it and ensuring it was actually good, to take the audio tracks and tie these to my picture…right there within the bay. I then dexppky05 sync in the head , middle and end of each act. I needed to slip a couple of things, he reproduced on his end. But when I left, things were perfect.
I then took the drive, picture and audio to some post facility for output. Now, my machine is equiped to get this done, however i am unfamiliar with the HDCAM deck and i also wanted somebody who was a professional along with it to deal with the output. Thus I visited a post facility devoted to FCP and did the output. Several hiccups occurred that have been fixed on the spot. But eventually the spot was output, twice (texted and textless) successfully.
Away and off to the dub facility for closed caption encoding and digital marketing company therefore we were set. Out of the door it went, and because you will note below in my previous post, it had minor conditions that we addressed and resent.
This final output had not been without its snags. Not everything went as smoothly because i would have liked, but I learned numerous things that will make the subsequent one go much smoother.